Classroom Training Part 1: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Classroom Training Part 2: Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Consulations*: Thursday, August 6, 2020 (rollover day Wednesday, August 5 if needed)
(lunch will be provided for both classroom training sessions but not the consulation day)
* Consultations provide participants an opportunity for more deeply integrating the concepts and practices covered in the program. We'll schedule each participating organization for a 45-minute consultation on August 6. (If we have more participating organizations than time-slots, we’ll add appointments on August 5.)
UNA Member Rate: $150 for the first person/$30 for each additional participant
Non-Member Rate: $300 for the first person/$60 for each additional participant
4900 S. Highland Drive, Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT 84117
(above Mountain America Credit Union)
Course Description and Learning Objectives
This badge provides nonprofit leaders with practical, actionable skills and tools for developing high-performing agencies. Topics include application of proven leadership principles, the value and steps of strategic planning, creating a mission and value driven organization, and managing change within the organization. At the completion of the course, the participant will:
• Gain a deep understanding of organizational culture and how different aspects of the organization affect the culture.
• Integrate proven principles of leadership into all levels of the organization’s leadership
• Understand the value of strategic planning and demonstrate proficiency using tools to conduct the strategic planning process.
• Relate all organization activities to the organization’s mission and determine if certain activities or processes are obsolete and hindering the organization’s culture.
This course will be very interactive and will rely on the experiences of each participant. Therefore, it's important that all participants are prepared to contribute to the program. To get the most from the program for you and your organization, please be ready to
• Bring all required materials to each session. If your organization doesn’t have any of the required materials, the facilitator will provide you with samples to use.
• Complete the follow up activities after each session and bring questions and concerns to the next session.
• Complete the Badge Requirements by the UNA deadline with all required supporting documentation.
In order to receive the Leadership & Organizational Culture Badge, the organization must submit the following items to UNA to be reviewed:
|Required Action Item||Format to Present|
|Organizational Culture: Mission/ Vision/ Values Review||
If the organization has not reviewed its mission/ vision/ values in the past year, then provide documentation of the review process (who reviewed it, how the process was completed, and any changes made to the mission/ vision/ and values)
If the organization has reviewed the mission/ vision/ values in the past year, provide documentation of what the process was, and any changes that came out of the process.
|Leadership: Assessment and Evaluation||Demonstrate the organization’s commitment to leadership development by providing 1-2 items such as: a calendar of leadership development activities, a sample of a leadership training that has recently been completed, a working leadership development plan, a written policy on leadership development, a budget line item dedicated to leadership development, or other similar proof.|
Document 2-3 short answer examples of your organization’s focus on mission-driven culture in any of the following areas (you don’t have to cover all areas). Include what has been done and what has been the cultural impact of these examples.
|Strategic Planning and Change Management: Sector Scan||Include your most recent sector review or template of such. Whether internal or external, simple or sophisticated depends on the complexity and maturity of your organization, but at a minimum the review should assess the political, regulatory and social environment as well as opportunities for collaboration. Note the date of the most recent scan and by whom it was completed and reviewed (previous scans acceptable as long as completed less than a year before completion of the Badge)|
|Strategic Planning and Change Management: SWOT Assessment||Provide evidence of a recent SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) assessment by uploading the completed assessment and the date the assessment was completed (previous SWOT acceptable as long as completed less than a year before completion of the Badge). Note how the assessment results were used by leadership to inform how the organization operates. MAY BE COMBINED WITH YOUR STRATEGIC PLAN|
|Strategic Planning and Change Management: Strategic Plan||Provide a copy of your organization’s current strategic plan (valid for the current year). Be sure it addresses goals, objectives, means of measurement, and how the plan is communicated to those responsible for it. MAY BE COMBINED WITH YOUR SWOT ASSESSMENT.|
|Strategic Planning and Change Management: Organizational Change||Provide an example of a change your organization has made or endured SINCE your participation in the Badge course, or plans to make or endure in the next six months. In a 2-3 sentence explanation, show how leadership handled the change (or plans to handle the change), considering all of the variable factors at stake, in order to maintain or improve the organizational culture.|